House mold is a pretty big problem here in Louisiana due to the humidity. Most of the time, mold is what we think about when we are talking about the old sandwich in the back of the fridge. However, when mold is in your HVAC system or home, it’s very dangerous.
Mold produces a substance called mycotoxin that leads to breathing problems, headaches and permanent neurological damage. The symptoms can range from a runny nose, sneezing, or an annoying odor. Here are some signs that mold is in your home.
Your HVAC System Smells Weird
One subtle sign of mold is a nasty smell coming from your air conditioning or heating system. If your system is in a basement, it is more likely to grow mold. One way that you can keep your system from growing mold is by having them regularly checked by an HVAC specialist.
The Grout Between Your Shower Tiles is Dark
If you notice your grout looks darker than usual, it’s probably mold. The good news is that it is probably harmless.
A Non-Stop Cold
Symptoms of a mold reaction can be as subtle as a runny nose. If you can’t seem to shake that cold, it might a sign of a mold problem. Try to pay attention if your symptoms seem to worsen after spending time in a particular room or immediately after you finish doing laundry.
Mold appears in many forms. If you have any weird spots appearing on your walls, it’s worth double checking to see if there isn’t a leak someone causing uncontrolled humidity.
Here at River City Total Maintenance, we are the experts at keeping your home not only comfortable but safe and healthy. If you need to have a routine checkup, contact us here 24/7 today.