There are a lot of myths about HVAC systems. Winter is here and you probably are ready to go into hibernation. However, the problem that the energy bills can be outrageous. Although keeping warm inside of a house may sound easy, most people have no idea how to keep warm the cheap way. River City Total Maintenance is here to bust some myths about your heating system
Turn up the Heating
Only 50% of people actually turn up the heat when it’s cold. At home, you should only set the thermostat to maintain the internal temperature.
Turn up The Thermostat to Heat The Room Quickly
This actually does not help a room become warmer and quicker. Your heating system will try to heat the whole home.
Keep Your Water Heater on All Day
You won’t run out of hot water. If your hot water tank is properly insulated, water heated for half an hour in the morning should stay warm until midday.
Keep the Heating on Low Constantly
Most people believe that it’s more efficient to leave the heating turned on at a low temperature constantly, rather than turning it on and off. Think about it, leaving the heat on with nobody to benefit from it is just another way to pay more on your energy bill.
In order to get the best out of your HVAC system, here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Bleed radiators to make sure they work properly; cold spots can mean you have air in the system.
- Make sure you seal windows and doors to stop warm air escaping. In addition, fitting draft excluders is a fast and easy way to cut energy bills.
- Make sure your boiler is working efficiently by making sure the pressure gauge is at the right temperature.
- Wrap up your water tank. This helps conserve heat and saves money.
- Make sure all pipes are properly insulated with lagging(link) to prevent pipes from bursting in extremely cold conditions.
Contact River City Total Maintenance to get your heat in tip top shape this winter!